I swear I make more excuses for not working on this project than a race car driver. A family vacation, work and a dead work PC have not helped matters. My wife and daughter let me have some quiet time on Father’s Day to do some work which was much appreciated. I didn’t spend all day on it, but it was some good quality time.
Actually there was some benefit to a break. Normally I spend a lot of time thinking through steps on a project – I didn’t on my trip out west. No idea why, but it just left my head. So when I returned I had to go visit the pieces to see where I’d left things and what needed to be done. The first thing that I realized was the thumbnail profile on the door seemed too small and ill-defined. I decided to enlarge it.
It was a simple matter of regrinding my scraper iron with a larger radius, deepening the shoulder and then recreating the profile. Then I veneered the front and back with a cross-banded design. Later I’ll add some narrow decorative banding around the perimeter. I think a diagonal or rope motif.
Here’s the near finished door. A little scraping is in order but it’s in good enough shape for now.
I added some glue blocks (hot hide glue is a wonderful thing) around the back side to stabilize the assembly. I think next up it’s time to make the lower and cornice mouldings. I’m a little concerned about the gap around the top of the door but I have a strategy to solve that.