I spent some of Labor Day weekend on inlay and embellishment. I didn’t make as much progress as I hoped. It was also a weekend to go to the fireworks (soggy…) and King’s Island with the kid (less soggy).
Here is the banding stock, each with slices taken off.
Again I ask, how did the old guys do this. Masking tape works pretty well as a clamp sometimes. Actually I know the answer. They used hot hide glue, so they could hold the piece in place until it cooled. While I often use hot hide glue I didn’t want to make a batch and try to keep it going all weekend. I used liquid hide glue as a cop-out.
Laying in grooves for the leg bandings
A shot of the progress so far
Here’s how I lay in the stringing for the face. You can see the inlay groove cutting tool.
And now the black feet on the tapered legs. I’ll come back later, after doing the leg stringing and add a cuff banding. Should look pretty snazzy.
Finally laying in the stringing around the surface of the top: